Sunday, October 11, 2009

Circle of life...

The guests have all gone and the fancy clothes have been put away.


The last couple of week's excitement is wearing down and pure tiredness has overcome us. We drift off early in the evening with memories of a fairytale day and dreams of the happy smiles on the faces of loved ones. It was all so perfect and I couldn't be happier with my life.


I have come away with a deeper respect for Nikki and Freddie and a greater confidence that the family and friends they have chosen to surround themselves with are just so wonderful….such good people….truly good people.


And maybe that's the emotion I felt - joy that these good people will be a great source of comfort and support throughout my daughter and her new husband's life together; to be there for them and give them love when I'm no longer able to.


That's the circle of life, I guess. I'm just a little wistful that Jo and I aren't young enough to take the whole journey with them. I wish we could....but oh, what fun they'll have.


I know they will because I know the joy I have enjoyed along mine. A wonderful marriage and two great kids that almost burst my heart with pride and love each and every time I see them. Jo and I have been so lucky. I understand, now, why my mom and dad looked at me that certain way - and I wish I could thank them for it.


I was in domestic violence court the other day, a few days after Nikki and Freddie got married. The prosecutor and I talked about how many counseling sessions my client should be ordered to go through.


All I could think of is that domestic violence defendants shouldn't do counseling - they should be ordered to watch wedding ceremonies; to see the joy and hope and love that they once felt and forgot about.


Maybe then they wouldn't choose anger over comfort or argument over affection. Maybe they would remember to be sensitive instead of busy. Maybe they wouldn't think holding hands was silly or they were too busy to give a kiss the first thing every morning to match the goodnight kiss that was the last thing at night.


John Lennon nailed it - all you need is love.

1 comment:

  1. Michael and Joanne.
    Just wanted to check in on our favorite family... Congratulations. You inspire me to be a better person, wife and mother. Please keep in touch.

    With warm regards,

    Irene

    ReplyDelete